Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 8 16 4:55 AM

Tags : :

In a recent game, one of the players moved a unit of one command into the back of a box containing a unit of another command. He then wanted to exchange their positions. Neither were light units.

We struggled with this because the activation process is clearly one command then another, and exchange of places is a difficult activation which affects the activation score of both units. There is no mechanism for dealing with an activation involving multiple commands (what would happen, for example, if the activation failed). Equally, as non-light units, an exchange cannot be by one unit  interpenetrating the other.

We eventually decided that the exchange wasn't possible at all. Either the front unit had to use an activation (when its command was activated) to move forward to get out of the way or the rear unit had to move backwards out of the box and then find a differnet way forward. Was this right?

RogerC
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 8 16 10:10 AM

Hi Roger,

Yes I think you were right; as written with formed units both units need to activate to effect the exchange, which isn't possible when they are in separate commands.

I haven't come across this one before, I shall mull over it to see if there is a way around it (for a future edition) but I can't think of one off of the top of my head.

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 8 16 11:02 AM

A very interesting dilemma, which occurs again and again through time. When organising commands do you do so by wings, or by lines? These options are discussed and debated at least into the 19th century (my real area) and probably beyond. At Shiloh, one of the greatest criticisms of the Confederate order of battle is having corps in successive lines, one behind the other. This leads to no guiding intelligence in the attack on any particular point, and a very rapid intermingling of separate commands with consequent loss of flexibility. Having each command occupying one part of the front, with perhaps a completely separate reserve for the decisive moment, seems to be so widely adopted as to imply benefits that were self evident to the majority of commanders! A rather over wordy way of saying that I think this was played correctly, and penalises a commander for getting his commands mixed up.

Mollinary

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 8 16 12:41 PM

Hi Mollinary,

That's an interesting take on it. :-)

As a by the way, the reason I required both units to activate is so people couldn't attack with their first line and then attempt to move their second line through the first to attack in turn. Several people wanted to do this! Line exchange by formed units would be a very challenging thing.

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help