Remove this ad

Lead

May 3 16 12:36 PM

Tags : :

Hi chaps,

I've started to give some more thought to a version 2 for release some time next year.  One thing I want to capture are new troop types.  So far I have:
  • Arquebusiers - useful for the Italian wars
  • Artillery - bombards (these will permit a later class of more relible artillery (cannon)
  • Light infantry other - incendiary weapons (naptha throwing types)
  • Swordsmen - like javelinmen but without javelins and costing 6 points; might replace javelnmen who would become swordsmen with extra javelin or shock missile
  • Heavy chariots - Assyrian war machines.

Have I missed anything obvious?  Or not obvious?

Best, Simon
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 8 16 1:58 AM

Hi Simon,

On the question of new troop types, I am curious to hear whether you are still planning on introducing a Peltast class in V2. I personally think that would be a nice addition. But maybe you have had other ideas since the Thureophoroi/Thorakitai discussion died down. In any case, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the subject if and when you have the time!

The very best,
Justin

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 8 16 6:50 AM

Hi Justin,

Yes I'm planning to either:

a) Revise Light infantry/cavalry to be a 2 hit unit with 4/6 ammo but hitting on an 8 in melee and capable of charging and not evading. Alongside these would be a lot of "small" light units which would function just as LI/LC do at the moment, ie 1 hit and Run Away!

or

b) Add entirely new troop types equivalent to the old WRG LMI (light medium infantry; your dad will probably recall them).

At the moment I find a) the more elegant option. I'd need to rewrite all the army lists, though...

Thureophoroi would be either formed spearmen or euzanoi LI javelinmen like a) or b) above.

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 9 16 9:55 PM

Hi Simon,

Great to hear your thoughts on how Peltasts might work in V2! While I can see either idea you mentioned doing the trick, I have started to wonder whether an even simpler solution might be to give the current Javelinmen class a few extra capabilities. What if Javelinmen, for example, were able, to evade from heavy infantry and receive combat bonuses in bad terrain, while at the same time hitting only on 8+? Two possible advantages of this idea, it seems to me, are: (1) it would allow you to keep Light Infantry as 1-hit units, a rule that seems very nice and elegant at the moment; and (2), it would save you from having to rewrite a whole slew of army lists. Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. As always, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

All the best,
Justin

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 10 16 12:55 AM

Hi Justin,

Well... the javelinmen you have described (evading, terrain benefits, 8+) above sounds very much like a 2 hit light infantry unit with javelin. My thinking is that if the light infantry class can fill this role, we can do away with javelinmen entirely*. Light infantry of the current sort can easily be small units of the 2 hit light infantry; many (perhaps most) units would be small. There has always been a degree of confusion between javelinmen and light infantry, javelin, especially with new players.

*We can use a new swordsman class to cope with some of the current javelinmen and possibly the likes of Roman legionaries and auxilia.

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 11 16 10:15 AM

Hi Simon,

Ah, yes, I see what you mean (!). I guess I thought you were saying that most Light Infantry would become 2-hit units in V2; but if this is going to be more of a special feature for troops like Peltasts, that seems like a good solution.

Best of luck with the rules re-writing and, as always, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Best,
Justin

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 16 16 2:52 AM

Perhaps this remark belongs in a separate thread of the discussion, but what about tinkering with the leadership/commanders?

Would it be possible to add a level of consideration to the generals? I am thinking something along the lines of IMPETVS where these personalities range from Incompetent all the way to Charismatic or Genius. The movement rate of these gentlemen (or ladies, Boudicca and Joan of Arc spring to mind) could be increased or reduced, and adjustments could be made for saves and hits when with a unit in a box. If they are lost, there might also be a "ripple effect" or  morale checks for units  within a certain number of boxes.

Just thinking . . . 

Chris

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

May 16 16 7:37 AM

Hi Chris,

Yes it is something I am looking at. It's possible to increase or reduce the distance at which the generals can command units and whether or not they can impact rallies and suchlike. Tehre will certainly be quite a few changes to generals!

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 17 16 9:57 PM

Regarding troop types, I love the fact that you have generated some new nomenclature that frees itself from the WRG model. I hated the notion of LMI and especially LHI that even Armati uses. Don't go down that route. There are a lot of troop types in TtS and I would be inclined to not add too many more. I really like the idea of swordsmen replacing in some case javelin men.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 18 16 7:01 AM

Yes- I don't want to add very many troop types; if anything the opposite.

Some of the new ones I mention above (arquebusiers, artillery cannon) won't be in the main rules. Rather I'm going to put them in a separate Italian Wars supplement that I've been working on with Les Mansir.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 24 16 2:06 AM

I very much like the idea of an Italian Wars supplement as it does seem to have troop types that don't crop up in the medieval period. As well as more reliable artillery there are also sword and buckler men, mounted arquebusiers and crossbowmen, and attached 2HCCW to Swiss, Landsknecht, and to a lesser extent, Spanish pike units to consider. Very much looking forward to that supplement.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 24 16 3:06 AM

It's coming on- I have a first draft of the units and am doing some research reading as time permits! It will include the types you mention and a couple more. :-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help