Remove this ad

Lead

May 20 16 1:37 PM

Tags : :

This is an issue I Have been thinking about for some time.  I cannot think of many examples where lines failed to advance as a whole on the command to advance. And yet, in TTS, it is extremely difficult to get a line to advance as such.  To cut to the chase, I wondered about the concept of subordinate or brigade commanders.  These would act rather like heroes, except they would allow the redraw of a manoeuvre draw for the first activation of a unit in their command. From a few play tests this would mean that on most occasions a brigade could advance a single move together, but would be unlikely to advance twice. In ECW, for,example, this would allow wings of cavalry to have a reasonable chance of advancing as an entity, rather than piecemeal.  Thoughts?

Moving on from my earlier thoughts about Swedish brigades for Edgehill, each of the five might have a subordinate commander.  The brigades would only ever move in any direction as a difficult or doubly difficult move, to reflect the rawness of the troops. The brigad commander could redraw their first activation. So, the army could advance slowly in formation, one square at a time, but would be very unlikely to move coherently further than that. An alternative would be to have one subordinate commander for each line, who could be used once on the first activation. Anyone think this idea is worth pursuing?

Andrew

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 20 16 1:59 PM

A couple of further thoughts on the above. Just to make clear, these would be subordinate commanders, a failure would still terminate the activation of the whole overall command. Unlike heroes, I think these commanders would only be eliminated when one of their reactivations failed.

Andrew

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 20 16 2:04 PM

And final (for tonight!) thought. In the army list you could limit the number of subordinate commanders available to reflect the discipline level of respective armies. This would mean, within an army, you could choose the best disciplined part of your army. For example, in ECW, a Parliamentrain wing commanded by Cromwell,could have an additional,couple of subordinate commanders?

Andrew

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help