Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 29 16 7:53 AM

Tags : :

This discussion thread is primarily for people who are playtesting the ECW first draft, which I'll send out next week.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Aug 2 16 9:05 AM

Hi all, Colin Hoare and Andy Barnett had a play test and came back with some questions- I thought it would be useful to post these and the associated answers, here in case others have the same questions.

"Our first thoughts/queries are as follows;
1) I take it that VP’s in the list equates to hits.
Yes indeed
2) Pursuits- what makes a unit pursue two squares rather than one? I can see that if a unit was in the edge box one square move would take it off, but are the obliged to move two squares if further away?
I’ve not specified; what do you think? I’m in two minds. If two boxes, many units will exit the table- it will most likely be two boxes.
3) Pursuits- you say a pursuing unit can be activated to move, rally or shoot. Does that include ‘halt’ and thus not pursue anymore?
Yes it does- anything except charge. A movement activation could be used to "halt" on the spot. I’ll make that clear.
4) Should we be using camps as normal.
Yes but not mandatory.
5) Can troops March? We played it that they could but not march into musket range.
I’m in two minds. There doesn’t seem to have been very much movement of reserves, so might leave it out. Thoughts?
6) The colonel rules need some tidying, in particular their relationship with the rest of their command. We played it that the colonel was part of a larger command, not an independent command. If the command failed to activate then the colonel could not. Also if the colonel failed to activate the command he was in had also failed. Is that your intention?
Yes you played it right, they are part of a senior general’s command. And yes it is I’ll look at the wording and add some examples to clarify this. The colonels are vital in the larger battles
7) Also for colonels, the scenario listed them against specific units. Could they only influence these units or others in the same command? How flexible would this be between influencing different units in the same command. Would they need to be specified in the army design?
Only units specified at being under their command- should be specified in the scenario for the battle.
8) Should there be spare ammo in the camp?

I’m not planning for it, since most foot units can continue to fire indefinitely. It could be included in a specific scenario, though.

9) Do horse use ammo anytime that they fire, including charging and receiving a charge? That would usually mean they only have one shot per game.
Yes that’s the plan at the moment.
10) Do dragoons have zones of control as for other units? I don’t see that it says not, but as you say they are similar to light troops.
Very good point- I’ll have a think on that.
11) Do Dragoons horse holders count as a separate unit in a box.
No they would just be a marker, I’ll make that clear.
12) Do generals still add to the final rallying draw when in the same square or are the only modifiers now against the activation?
No I’ve taken that out. Generals have their card re-play, of course. I have been trying to restrict rallies, in general.
13) Are demoralisation levels still the same?
Yes
14) Are you going to include Stratagems?
Yes
15) Guns- interpenetrating or exchanging with other units. Is this an easy or difficult activation?
Good point- easy, I think."

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 14 16 8:41 AM

I'm just getting the second play-test version ready- it is looking very good! Contains some really exciting new mechanisms. Huge thanks to Andrew Brentnall for all his help with it. :-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Oct 14 16 9:20 AM

You are welcome, Simon! I am really enjoying the process. My 10mm Ecw Collection has had more table time in the last three months than in the previous fifteen years.

Andrew

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 21 16 2:08 AM

We played the Montgomery scenario last night using the v2 playtest rulesIt was a good game; I think we only did one thing wrong - I overlooked the rule that says horse only move 1 box when out of dash.Really liked many of the rules mechanisms, in particular dash , pursuit and salvee.
It ended up a very close Royalist victory, but could have gone either way.
The parliamentary foragers returned on turn 3, resulting in the Royalist  cavalry being overwhelmed, but the Royalists won on the other flank.
Comments:1. What's the point of the commanding general?  Unless a sub general gets killed, his only use is to add a medal to a command, which brings me on to point 2
2. Armies pretty much fight to the death - the two Parliamentary commands have 4 units each - they have to lose 3 of them to be demoralised. If the CinC joins, they don't get demoralised unless they are wiped out!
3. Once a command is demoralised, there's a one off 'wavering' test, then the -1 on activation. Are there any other effects? Are demoralised units still able to charge? Is there any penalty on fighting?
4. When units in a demoralised command are killed, does this have any effect on army morale? The command has no more medals to give up; we played that another command had to give up a medal, because it seemed wrong that there was no effect, and without this the armies would have been fighting till the last unit.
5. Can disordered units use Salvee?

Last Edited By: SteveBurt Oct 21 16 2:59 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 28 16 2:20 AM

Hi Steve, sorry I missed this post but replied to your email on the same subject Nice pics!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help