25BevanMarchand148.2Medieval German
26KevinLucas116.8Imperial Seleucid
27NickSpeller101.9Huns
28BobUllman 99.4Principate Romans

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 8 17 1:29 AM

Thanks- that's interesting. I'd love to get more data points (from more games). My personal suspicion is that ranking is more about player skill than the respective merits of the army lists. I wonder if we could persuade the better players to try out ostensibly terrible lists? ;-)

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 8 17 2:59 AM

BigRedBat wrote:
Thanks- that's interesting. I'd love to get more data points (from more games). My personal suspicion is that ranking is more about player skill than the respective merits of the army lists. I wonder if we could persuade the better players to try out ostensibly terrible lists? ;-)

Hi Simon,
discussion with Jan on the way back home about the "dancing bow" mounted armies as being too competition strong (Sassanid, Mongol, Byzantines etc), so was a little surprised by the Phyrric on second place, they do not strike me as a primarly mounted force
the marian I came across was rather mounted heavy, downgrading legionaries to raw to pay for it all
a mainly foot army has a difficult time protecting its flanks when it grinds forward

Alex

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Mar 8 17 3:33 AM

Yes Alex, I was interested to see three primarily foot armies in the first five (albeit with one of the Marians having unusually large numbers of mounted). I'm not convinced that the mounted armies are as powerful as we reckon; I think it's the most experienced players that tend to lead the list with whichever army they pick. :-) One advantage of mounted, though, is that one can make the game a fast and decisive one...

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Mar 8 17 4:47 AM

BigRedBat wrote:
Yes Alex, I was interested to see three primarily foot armies in the first five (albeit with one of the Marians having unusually large numbers of mounted). I'm not convinced that the mounted armies are as powerful as we reckon; I think it's the most experienced players that tend to lead the list with whichever army they pick. :-) One advantage of mounted, though, is that one can make the game a fast and decisive one...

fast yes, decisive no :)
in my first game against Viking a huscarl unit stood up to 2 flank charges by lancers (3 cards) and 1 frontal charge by lancers (2 cards) (with some replays)
my deployment against the Marian did not take into account that he could have so many good mounted, and again the lancers did not perform very well
and in my third game the Seleucid almost single handed destroyed themselves : I killed 2 scythed chariots and 2 elephants , their rampages killed a unit light horse, a unit of spearmen, an elephant, a general (who had no troops left in his command) and another general, I think I didn't use any lance 

Alex

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Mar 8 17 8:08 AM

Many tales were told that night in the Halls of Valhalla... :-)

I feel really sorry for the poor Seleucid player, becuase he picked 2 scythed chariots and 4 elephants because he thought they rampaged FORWARDS. I will make sure to add a directional arrow to that diagram in V2. :-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#27 [url]

Mar 8 17 9:50 AM

Quite historical, a Seleucid army disrupted by scythed chariots and elephants, very Magnesia.

‘Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.’ George Santayana (apologies to the Seleucid player, but I couldn't resist)

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Mar 8 17 10:00 AM

If you look at the top 10, then counting that Marian as a 'cavalry army' and assuming the late Roman was cavalry heavy then that's at least 6 of the top 10 being cavalry heavy, I cannot comment on the Tang composition. Then there are a few cavalry armies in the bottom 10 as well, especially that unlucky Hun. Its also interesting that there are only two knightly armies, both of which are outside the top 10. I agree with Simon that its case of the more experienced player rather than the army which is simply evidence of a robust rule set without any obvious super troop types.

Be interested to know if the Sassanids had any elephants in their list. Obviously the Indians did and they made 6th place so elephants must have a use!

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Mar 8 17 11:55 AM

Although it included more cavalry than any Marian army I've ever seen, I wouldn't count the Marians as a cavalry army. The Late East Roman army was mixed; slightly more cavalry than foot. The Tang were mixed, more foot than cavalry. So I would say 5 cavalry heavy to five foot heavy; even honours.

The Sassanids had no elephants; the second place Pyrrhics, one. I think they have a place in a balanced army.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Mar 9 17 12:27 AM

BigRedBat wrote:
Although it included more cavalry than any Marian army I've ever seen, I wouldn't count the Marians as a cavalry army. 

Well, having 2 veteran cav + 2 cav + 2 veteran light horse + 1 light horse who all behave aggresively to only 3 veteran legionaires + 3 raw javelinmen hudling on the base line ticks all my boxes for a cav army :)

Alex

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Mar 9 17 6:22 AM

BigRedBat wrote:
I'd probably think of it as mixed- but that's certainly a heck of a lot of horse for a Roman army!

Yeah, but they where Gauls, Germans Spanish and Numidians doing all the work :)
Alex

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help