Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 10 17 5:38 AM

Tags : : ,

"Army standards cost 1-3 points. Where specified as available within an army list, they can be purchased and add 1-3 victory medals (as specified in the army list) to the unit to which they are attached, thus increasing the VPs of both the unit's command and the army as a whole. Should the unit be lost, 1-3 medals additional medals are surrendered. Examples could include the True Cross, the Oriflamme and William I's Papal Banner."

This came out of some work that Philp Garton and I have been doing on the Communal and Papal list.  They are a somewhat two-edged sword... but fun.  Any thoughts?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 11 17 10:40 AM

Do you intend there to be any benefit conferred by the standard? In the ECW rules I am looking at making the Royal standard a sort of permanent hero for the unit it is with, reflecting the urge to fight more fiercely in its defence.

Andrew

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 11 17 12:17 PM

Yes- a Legionary Eagle would be most appropriate. In a big battle there might be a number of 1 point eagles, one for each legion.

Hi Andrew- I was thinking about that- I don't see why not, there's only one Royal standard so we can do what we will with it. Or it could work the same as proposed above, but with more than one hero attached to the unit.

I suppose there might be army standards on the Parliamentarian side, too?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jan 11 17 1:37 PM

Hi Simon,

I don't think there is any flag on the Parliamentarian side with the same kudos attached to its possession as the Standard.

I am not sure as to what you what you intend with the Ancient Army Standard rule? I assume for those armies that have it, it would be a compulsory purchase? Then it acts like a mini treasure chest with the unit carrying it being a very juicy target, so you would want to protect it from harm and hide it away. So how does it add to the game? Yours, puzzled,

Andrew

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 12 17 2:01 AM

Hi Andrew,

I don't think that he standard would necessarily be compulsory- a Roman army might be a vexillation, for example.

It does make a juicy target. In many armies the standard was stuck at the back and this fits in well with the model I've proposed. The standard effectively raises the moral of the command it is in and the army as a whole.

In others, the standard was attached to a fighting unit in the front rank where one might presume that there was a morale effect upon the unit with the standard; my model doesn't help with this. One could give a unit a +1 save, but then people would want to attach one to a unit of veteran knights which would have a 4+ save (too low IMHO). A heroic approach is better. Final thought- I wonder whether there might be a way of tying a standard in with the rout tests we are using in the ECW rules?

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 26 17 3:25 AM

Here's some proposed text:-

Army Standards
Many ancient and medieval armies included a standard which acted as a religious or semi-religious focus for the army. Examples include the Ark of the Covenant, the True Cross, the Oriflamme and William I's Papal Banner. Even regular armies such as the Romans worshipped their Legion’s Eagle.
Where specified as available within an army list, army standards add 1-3 victory medals (as specified in the army list) to a unit to which they are attached, thus increasing both the victory points of the command and of the army as a whole. Moreover, the standard permits the replay of a melee card in each turn, as would a heroic general. However, should the unit with the standard be lost, the standard is also lost and 1-3 medals victory medals must be surrendered.
Army standards cost 2 points if 1 VP, 3 points if 2VP and 4 points if 3VP.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help