Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 9 17 12:18 PM

Tags : :

Here's another rule I'm considering for the supplement- comments welcome!  

Light lancesSome cavalry used spears that were lighter than the lance in TtS! but more substantial than light throwing javelins. The Normans, for example, used spears that could either be thrown or wielded over-arm in melee, or, later, couched under the rider’s arm.When specifically mentioned in an army list, units designated as having light lances can either use their ammunition markers as javelins, in the normal manner, or when charging they may be used to give a bonus hit in melee, similar to a lance. Unlike a lance, however, the bonus card for a light lance is an 8+, as opposed to the 6+ of the lance. After use as a lance, one ammo marker is removed.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 16 17 2:44 PM

Hi Simon,

I would be very careful about adding more weapon (and unit types). These Norman spears were not javelins and if thrown I would imagine that it was at very close range and folded into melee. Your rule is fine, but again, I worry that by trying to account for every nuance you will lose the speed of play that so many enjoy. Alas, I am still waiting on my group to really get into TtS so my comment is an intellectual one as opposed to practical. I might well be wrong, but I do know that game design is a process of building up and then taking away anything and everything that does not fit into the design concept and is essential.
Cheers,
Chris

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 17 17 7:30 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm pretty cautious about introducing new rules. The Normans at the time of Hastings tended to throw spears which is why they are armed with javelins rather than lance; but they also charged with them held overarm or sometimes underarm. The trick is to try to address something like this without adding extra (or at least much extra) complexity to the rules.

Once I spent a could of years playing the excellent "World in Flames" board game. Gradually they added "chrome" expansions to that ;"Days of Decision", "Planes in Flames" and I think "Tanks in Flames". Although these were enjoyable, eventually the game system collapsed under the weight of all the extra units. It was a salutary lesson and I won't repeat it with TtS!

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 17 17 4:53 PM

Hi Simon,

Good to hear that you are cautious....I have tried to learn that lesson but have destroyed even bad games with the best intentions of 'improving' them with changes (even simplifications can upset players understanding of a set with effect of people losing interest).

I wonder about the notion of Norman horse as late as 1066 using a javelin -- a spear (as opposed to lance) would be a better description, I think. Is there new scholarship on this that I am not familiar with? Perhaps semantics. I think however, that while throwing the spear was done, the primary function was still thrusting at an opponent.

Cheers.
Chris

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 18 17 7:37 AM

"I wonder about the notion of Norman horse as late as 1066 using a javelin" - exaclty! That's why I sought a middle way with them, rather than giving them javelin or lance.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help