Remove this ad

Lead

May 1 17 3:12 AM

Tags : : ,

https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/products/early-medieval-booklet-last-updated-12-8-15

This new list was (mostly) written by David Harvey and is a real corker!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 1 17 4:52 AM

Loving this list, completes my first crusade and Seljuk group. The notes make reference to **** but no troops on the list have ****, also the notes refer to Kataphractoi armour, I believe there were still Kataphractoi around in this period, has a unit been missed off the list?

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 1 17 5:33 AM

Oooh er; I shall have a look at that, and re-post! Well spotted Sidley. Cataphracts are, I think out, since everyone is charging knights stylee. The excellent Byzantine armour is reflected in the option to upgrade up to three knights to veteran.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 1 17 6:19 AM

There is no evidence for Cataphract fighting style cavalry after c 1020, though the consensus is that they , being v expensive, actually went in the military false economies of the 1040s-1060s. There is some suggestion they existed up to Manzikert too. I think its as much about fighting style. Certainly heavily armoured cavalry in very good armour on well armoured horses survived, but with no evidence they fought in close order cataphract formations. I tend to think that Frankish influence meant that all cavalry moved towards a knight style of fighting, at the gallop not the cataphract trot, with Manual I making it official and adding the training for all troops. We don't have evidence of cataphract style cavalry in contemporary Frankish, Arab or crusader chronicles and that suggests to me that they had disappeared. But if anyone has contrary source evidence or hints v happy to be contradicted. David

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

May 1 17 12:34 PM

That's fascinating. I wonder if I could convert conventional 11th century cataphract figures from using the overarm kontos and/or heavy mace into using a couched lance. Then base them slightly more open that traditional knee to knee or wedge Byzantine cataphract formation.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 1 17 2:49 PM

Would be interesting to see! I've recently acquired quite a few Norman knights and am tempted to do this list, too, to fight them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help