Remove this ad

Lead

May 10 17 5:52 PM

Tags : :

Has any thought been given to giving large units 3 hits instead of 2? I'm specifically thinking of the 'double' sized first cohort of the Imperial Roman legions.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 11 17 11:42 AM

If the cohort deployed in the same fashion, and to the same depth, as standard cohorts, I assume it would have double the frontage? If so, I think it would be better to represent it as two, 2 hit, units.

Mollinary

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 12 17 7:05 AM

Hi Steve,

I think it is deep units which currently have 3 hits in the rules, at least I could not find a reference to large units. As I understand it (!) a Roman double cohort would not form any deeper than a standard one, but just occupy a longer frontage, hence my suggestion. What I have no knowledge of is whether it fought as a single unt, or as 2 separate 'battalia' to use a later term.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 12 17 8:01 PM

As far as I can tell it fought as a single unit and was almost invariably veteran but I think you're right, it probably fought in the same (10 deep (?)) formation as all of the other cohorts which doesn't fit particularly well if we count each unit as a cohort but in practice probably doesn't affect game play...

That said I might still be tempted to give it three hits but without the other 'deep' rules othewise it would fight split into two units which doesn't sit right with me.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 13 17 6:44 AM

The double Roman cohort isn't quite as proven as formerly thought- the evidence base for it has been rather weakened over the last 20 - 30 years. It rests on the layout of some legionary forts in Britain and some analysis of a Roman document that might have been misinterpreted. My first cohorts are standard sized, these days. :-) If I was running with a larger first cohort, I suppose I might make it veteran. You can also give it the legionary eagle standard in "Even Stronger".

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help