Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 12 15 3:30 PM

Tags : :

I still have quite a bit of work to to do on "To the Strongest!" (not least a whole raft of army lists and a random event system), but I am in the very (very) early stages of thinking about a future set of rules.

Here are some ideas I've been batting around:​
  • ​A fantasy version; this would be a relatively easy modification, stripping out some troop types but adding fantasy creatures and rules to cover magic, flying and the like. I used to play a lot of Hordes of the Things and retain a good deal of affection for fantasy gaming.
  • A TtS! version covering the renaissance and pike and shot eras.  Again this would be a relatively easy modification.
  • A horse and musket set covering the SYW, WSS and AWI.  This would use some many of the TtS! mechanics but would require some changes to reflect the increased importance of artillery and shooting.
  • A Napoleonic version, with rather different mechanics but retaining a similar activation system.

I'd welcome thoughts on which rules people would prefer to see first; or if there are others I should be thinking about.  I need to work out which rules would be popular (and therefore commercial) as there's likely to be at least a year's work involved, and it would be nice if someone bought them at the end of it!

Best, Simon
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 12 15 3:37 PM

For me, I would opt for either/or The renn version or Horse & Musket as a next go. Probably the best bet would be to tinker with something easy like Renn. and see how that goes. Napoleonics (and even the H&M) can get quite involving. But yes, as a project I say Renn or H&M.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 13 15 12:40 AM

I do agree that a Renaissance version would be very logical as it follows on directly from the 1500 end of the current rules..  One mate has already been playing around with using the rules for ECW...

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 14 15 2:22 PM

Hi John,

Some level of experimentation with Napoleonics wiill be essential; I have 800-odd 28mm French finished* and will need to use them at least once this year.  I have drafted out ideas for how the rules might work, but not put lead (or plastic) on the table.  The rule mechanics will somewhat different to the ancients set, which is why I am hesitating about doing them first.

Best, Simon

*but only 12 Prussians for them to fight!  :-/

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 14 15 2:29 PM

Hi Hepworthnot, 

Fantasy would be a relatively straighforward "write", I am quite tempted. It might help to draw people into the hobby, which is an idea that appeals to me.  Naps would be a grand project, but a tempting one!

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Apr 18 15 5:44 AM

Another idea that a couple of people have raised would be to develop a set of campaign rules that could support the game, before moving on to Renaissance or fantasy. I made a start on a campaign section last year, so I could get this under way relatively quickly. It might be possible to keep such campaign rules general enough that they would also serve future supplements...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 1 15 11:16 AM

I think Renaissance is the next logical step. I am working on the Armati Renaissance rules and would love to see TtS get into this period. It is a logical evolution of the game and I could imagine that it would work seamlessly. Indeed, it already has aspects of the period that Armati is lacking, so please go in that direction.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jun 1 15 11:51 AM

Hi Rollaone - an ironic name in the circumstances of a diceless game!  :-)

One friend has looked at Renaissance:http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=76251.0

Another has developed some ECW rules:https://thirtyyears15mm.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/ye-battaille-of-edge-hille/

At the moment I'm looking more closely at the latter, to see whether I can quickly get a set together that could be playtested, based on Bevan's draft amendments of the ancient set.  I hope to have a go at them myself next week.

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 2 15 10:15 AM

Hi Simon,

I honestly don't know- I'll need to look at it.  I think the set would certainly cover the 30 Years War and the ECW.  How far before the 30YW and after the ECW it extended, is open for discussion.  I would also like such a set to cover the Turks, as I have a really soft spot for them, as I think I mentioned on Sunday!

Best, Simon

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help